Saturday, April 12, 2008

Isn't She Precious

I'm glad I don't live in Detroit, and if I did, I think I'd deny it.

Cockrel brought a special investigative hearing into the police whistle-blower lawsuit settlement to a temporary adjournment Friday after Conyers interrupted him and the two got into an argument.

Conyers, wife of U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Detroit, demanded that Cockrel respect her and twice called him Shrek.

"You're not my daddy," Conyers yelled. "You do that at home, not here. Give me some respect 'cause I'm tired of that. You may not do that at home, but you gon do it up in here.

"Grow up!" she continued. "Control your house and you'll know how to treat women better."

Cockrel responded by saying that Conyers had little room to talk about the issue of respect and interrupting others.

Monica Conyers gets into physical bar brawls and threatens to shoot. Cockrel is right on.

Moments later, Conyers interrupted Cockrel as he was questioning Carl Edwards, an independent Detroit attorney who was testifying at the hearing. Cockrel reminded Conyers that he had the floor and banged his gavel repeatedly.

When he threatened to adjourn the meeting, she responded: "Do it, baby. Do it. Do it."

As the two yelled at each other, residents attending the hearings yelled, as well: "You're disrespecting the citizens!" and "This is a shame!"

Conyers later told the Free Press that she does not have a temper, and that her Shrek moniker for Cockrel was spontaneous.

"My position is about the Shrek is ... he's a big guy ... the president is a big guy," she said. "I felt as if he was trying to bully me into not letting people know the information.

Unbelievable.

The exchange.

No comments: